Monday, July 27, 2020

E-MAIL TO UPSON BOC FOR TUESDAY'S MEETING/RENAMING RE LEE

We have started a group and have over 800 members on Facebook that are fighting to keep the name R.E Lee on the building. We also have an online petition that has almost 2500 names and will be working on a paper petition in the next few days. We see no reason to change the name of a school that has been present in one form or another for 138 years and has had almost 10,000 graduates. Especially when we have 80% of the signatures, considering the opposing petition has under 600 signatures. We have some very passionate members in our group and we are willing to see this through til the end.

Below find my personal feelings on this subject and I have the backing of most of these 800 people (since I posted it in the facebook groups and most agree with me).

It has come to the community’s attention, through social media, that two of our City Council members wish to discuss the removal of the R. E. Lee name as well as the paintings inside the old school building. Many of us in Upson County have dreaded this day because we knew it was coming with the new “cancel culture” that is going on in our country.

As a 1980 graduate of R. E. Lee I am extremely “Proud to be from R.E. Lee” and to be a Rebel. I know that I am not the only one. Once I read this I knew something had to be done to stop it. I started an online petition and within 8 hours had almost 1500 signatures from former graduates as well as Upson High School graduates who support our fight to keep the name R. E. Lee visible on the school building. We do not idolize Robert E. Lee nor do we endorse slavery. We are proud of our SCHOOL and the school’s heritage and the achievements of its graduates.

In my research to begin this campaign I took out my book “Proud to Be from R.E. Lee” by Edwin Cliburn and thumbed through 1020 pages of a detailed account of the extraordinary history of this school. If you haven’t read this book, you should. It gives a very thorough history of the SCHOOL from beginning to end.

I am not fighting to keep R E Lee Institute on the building because of General Robert E Lee!!! It has NOTHING at all to do with the MAN behind the name for me and I know that is the reason people want it OFF the building. For me, I don't endorse slavery or racism. I love all people who are good and despise all people who are bad whether black, white, red or yellow.

I am fighting to keep R E Lee on the building because it has been there in one form or another for 138 years with almost 10,000 graduates over all those years. What other school can say that?

I asked, in other groups, what you remember about R. E Lee and I continuously hear about the PRIDE you (and I) have for being a graduate of such a wonderful school.

It's so hard to explain for me WHY we have that pride in our school but I can try. It has to do with the memories of 4 years with amazing friends and teachers. It has to do with the hallowed walls of those buildings where THOUSANDS of people have walked over those 138 years. It has to do with the teamwork and camaraderie achieved in everything we did. It has to do with the knowledge that our parents and grandparents, possibly even great-grand parents and our own kids (for some) walked those halls and shared their own wonderful experiences the same as we did. It has to do with the loves started and the loves ended in those halls, the admiration for wonderful caring teachers who inspired us and encouraged us to achieve goals and do our best. It’s about the proms and military balls, the football games and pep rallies. ROTC marching down the road outside the Science building. The girls PE class with Ms Jessie Wilder in the ugliest gym suits ever. Home EC with Ms Evelyn Sheets and typing with Ms Marsha Smith. Climbing the stairs in the math building to get to class on time. Coach Rhodes coming down the hall jingling his keys/change in his pockets. The creaking of the old wood floors in the buildings and the creaky old radiators. Hurrying to Mr Hunter or Mr Lilliott’s class in the Drake building. Meeting friends at the smoking wall (which I personally didn’t do 😊). Sitting out front on the lawn at lunch watching cars go by. Going to Big Chic after school to get French fries. Signing yearbooks that I cherish to this day.

I’ve had many tell me that removing the name will not take away these memories and I know that. But removing the name also will not take away the fact that there was slavery and all the bad that the opposing folks want to associate the name with. So, why do it?

I believe I speak for most who graduated from R. E. Lee - and our ancestors back to 1882 - when I say WE ARE PROUD TO BE FROM R E LEE and do not want the name removed!

Lori Lindsey

No comments:

Post a Comment