Friday, February 26, 2016

JAYE EUBANKS ANNOUNCES FOR DISTRICT 7 T-U BOARD OF EDUCATION

My name is Jaye Eubanks, I am announcing today that I am running for the District 7 school board seat.  I am a lifelong resident of Upson County.  I am a 1989 graduate of Upson High School, 1991 graduate of Gordon College and 1993 graduate of Georgia Southern University.  I value the lessons I learned from my upbringing in Thomaston and Upson County.  I want to see the quality of our community return to the level it was in my youth.  I truly believe that is attainable, but not without some hard work and tough decisions.  That is why I have chosen to enter my name into the race for the school board.  I believe we can all work as hard as we can to restore our community, but our efforts will fall short without a quality, first rate school system. A system that can be one of the best in the state.  There are many opinions on how to make this happen, and some may even think it is not possible.  I think it is. I have condensed my vision into three simple points.  1) We must improve communication between the school board and the other elected bodies, boards and associations in Thomaston and Upson County.  This means regular meetings and open discussion with, but not limited to, the County Commission, City Council, IDA and Chamber of Commerce.  Our elected and appointed leaders need to know what we are doing to develop a highly qualified workforce that will want to stay here, work and raise a family.  2)  We need to improve parent involvement in our schools.  I am always shocked at the low turnout for parent teacher conferences.  We all have to do better.  We have to be engaged if we are going to succeed.  We need to utilize the software that is currently in place to keep parents up to date with their student’s progress.  This includes PowerSchool and the Remind app.  Our teachers and administrators should be encouraged to utilize these systems fully.  Parents must be encouraged to follow their student’s progress and take an active role in the success of not only their child, but the system as a whole.  Communication is key to achieving this goal. We have to work together.  3) We should recognize academic excellence.  I believe academic excellence is the hub of the wheel for our school system.  We should make a concerted effort to recognize our top students.  There was a time we recognized the top 10 students of each grade at the high school and that was a big deal.  It gave students a goal.  I know we have programs that recognize achievement, but we can do more.  They cost very little but can go a very long way in reinforcing our students success.  
There are many other areas I could address, and those will come in due time.  I look forward to the coming weeks as I get to know the people of district 7 better and share with them my vision for our school system.My name is Jaye Eubanks, I am announcing today that I am running for the District 7 school board seat.  I am a lifelong resident of Upson County.  I am a 1989 graduate of Upson High School, 1991 graduate of Gordon College and 1993 graduate of Georgia Southern University.  I value the lessons I learned from my upbringing in Thomaston and Upson County.  I want to see the quality of our community return to the level it was in my youth.  I truly believe that is attainable, but not without some hard work and tough decisions.  That is why I have chosen to enter my name into the race for the school board.  I believe we can all work as hard as we can to restore our community, but our efforts will fall short without a quality, first rate school system. A system that can be one of the best in the state.  There are many opinions on how to make this happen, and some may even think it is not possible.  I think it is. I have condensed my vision into three simple points.  1) We must improve communication between the school board and the other elected bodies, boards and associations in Thomaston and Upson County.  This means regular meetings and open discussion with, but not limited to, the County Commission, City Council, IDA and Chamber of Commerce.  Our elected and appointed leaders need to know what we are doing to develop a highly qualified workforce that will want to stay here, work and raise a family.  2)  We need to improve parent involvement in our schools.  I am always shocked at the low turnout for parent teacher conferences.  We all have to do better.  We have to be engaged if we are going to succeed.  We need to utilize the software that is currently in place to keep parents up to date with their student’s progress.  This includes PowerSchool and the Remind app.  Our teachers and administrators should be encouraged to utilize these systems fully.  Parents must be encouraged to follow their student’s progress and take an active role in the success of not only their child, but the system as a whole.  Communication is key to achieving this goal. We have to work together.  3) We should recognize academic excellence.  I believe academic excellence is the hub of the wheel for our school system.  We should make a concerted effort to recognize our top students.  There was a time we recognized the top 10 students of each grade at the high school and that was a big deal.  It gave students a goal.  I know we have programs that recognize achievement, but we can do more.  They cost very little but can go a very long way in reinforcing our students success.  
There are many other areas I could address, and those will come in due time.  I look forward to the coming weeks as I get to know the people of district 7 better and share with them my vision for our school system.

No comments:

Post a Comment